- Consulting Overview
- High Performance Benchmark Service
- Estimation Process Consulting Service
- Function Point Analysis
- SLIM Product Configuration and Deployment Services
- Acquisition and Program Management
- Independent Bid Assessment / Alternatives Analysis
- Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V)
- Project Health Check & Forecasting Service
- Expert Witness Services
- SLIM API Programming
- QSM Historical Database
- About Us
- Contact Us
Performance Benchmark Tables
Average Project Performance
The following reference tables are updated versions of those produced in 2009, which provide summary performance data (schedule, effort, staff, and SLOC/PM) for typical projects from QSM’s Business, Engineering, and Real Time software databases. This information provides a high level, quick reference for benchmarking both completed projects and software estimates.
All data supplied in these tables comes from QSM’s historical database of over 10,000 completed projects. The QSM database is a cornerstone asset utilized in all of our consulting service engagements. It represents the largest and most complete set of validated and completed software project data in the world.
Size: New &
The Business Systems group includes 450 Business (IT) Systems projects completed between 2008 and 2011.
The Business Systems: Function Point group includes approximately 250 Business (IT) Systems projects completed between 2008 and 2011.
Size: New &
|Min: 32||1.8||0.83||< 1||7.1|
The Engineering Systems group includes over 300 Command & Control, System Software, Telecommunications, Scientific, and Process Control projects completed on or after 2000.
Size: New &
|Min: 344||4.5||2.04||< 1||21.0|
The Real Time Systems group includes approximately 145 Avionics, Real Time, and Microcode & Firmware projects completed after 1990.
- Schedule: elapsed time (in months) from Requirements Determination (Phase 2) through the Initial Release (end of Phase 3)
- Schedule = (P2 Duration + P3 Duration) – P2 Overlap
- Effort: the number of Person Months expended during Requirements Determination (Phase 2) and Construct & Test (Phase 3)
- Effort = P2 PM + P3 PM
- Average Staff: the number of Full Time Equivalent employees for Phase 2 and Phase 3
- Average Staff = (P2 + P3 Effort)/ (P2+ P3 Duration)
- SLOC/ PM: the number of Source Lines of Code produced per Person Month of effort during Phase 3
- FP/ PM: the number of Function Points produced per Person Month during Phase 3